From Roku's press release:
Roku today unveiled a new solution to make a better Smart TV. The new Roku Streaming Stick is a wireless device about the size of a standard USB flash drive that will plug into a TV to instantly transform it into a Smart TV.
This is a smart idea from a company that continues to find new ways to innovate in this space. My only question is how a remote control will work with this device? Roku says it'll work with your current TV remote. Interesting.
Speculation has started about a January Apple event in New York City. Back in mid-December I reported that a January event was happening. Kara Swisher reports that it has to do with a media-related announcement. Here is what I know from sources involved:
- This event will focus on iTunes University and Apple in education
- I learned of the event back in September when it was originally scheduled for late Fall in New York but it was eventually postponed.
- The event will be in New York rather than in the Silicon Valley because New York is more centrally located for textbook and publishing.
- This initiative has been in the making for years.
- The announcement will be small in size but large in scope: a big announcement in a demure space.
- I expect at least two large project announcements as they relate to Apple in education.
- Steve Jobs was intimately involved with this project before his passing. He gave a hat tip to the textbook side of this project in the Isaacson biography.
- This will not be a hardware-related announcement.